Established in Iowa City in 1993, MRS Appraisals is a locally-owned appraisal business. Our full-time state-certified appraisers offer real estate analysis and reporting on residential and commercial properties, including condominiums, agricultural estates, development grounds, federal housing, and more.
- Residential Appraisals
- Commercial Appraisals
- Development Ground
What to Expect When Working With a Johnson County Property Appraiser
A great Johnson County property appraiser will help value your property and any of its structures at a reasonable price and give you an insight into what to expect in this process. However, it is often quite challenging for many people to fully understand the different factors that go into valuing a home.
Some may get quite confused and end up needing the help of professionals. By fully understanding what to expect from these experts, it is possible to get the highest-quality home that your money can buy.
Preparing for This Experience
Though there isn’t much that you have to do to prepare for a typical Johnson County property appraiser visit, you still need to take a handful of steps to ensure that things go as smoothly as possible. Thankfully, most of these things are what you’d probably have to do, anyway, and make a lot of sense. Just a few of the steps that you should take in this process include:
- Taking Your Kids and Pets Elsewhere – If you have children or pets who may get in the way of your appraiser or cause issues with their work, you may want to pack them up for the afternoon and take them to a park or on a ride, where you can all hang out and have a little fun for the day.
- Clean Up the Yard and Home – Ensure that you pick up any evident and unnecessary debris or junk throughout your buildings and yard and clean up the house to make it look better. You may want to mow the lawn and weed your garden, as well, to make sure that it looks as handsome as possible.
- Talk to Your Neighbors – Let your neighbors know that you’re having a property appraisal done so that they don’t get concerned about a random person wandering around your property. Give them an idea of how they can expect these professionals to avoid any complications with their work.
- Provide Access to the Appraiser – If you aren’t going to be at the property when your appraiser is doing their job, you need to give them keys or a passcode to get into the buildings. Doing so will make it simpler for them to work and get the high-quality help required for your appraisals.
By taking these few steps, you enhance your appraisers’ process and ensure that nothing goes wrong with your appraisal. All of these steps should take no more than an hour or two to handle correctly. Thankfully, you can even get other people to help you out with them, as needed, to ensure that you don’t run into any nasty surprises during the appraisal process.
The Appraisal Process
When a Johnson County property appraiser comes to your site, they will perform a handful of inspections to ensure that you are correctly valued. Most of these steps take just a handful of minutes and are done utilizing an expert eye, skilled at identifying various issues throughout a piece of property or home. Just a few things that they will assess include:
- The overall structure of the home
- Age, location, and the site of the property
- The quality of the soil and any possible pollution
- Parking and neighborhood conditions
- Building quality and structural integrity
- Overall size and functionality of the home
- Utilities spread through the building
- Any appliances that may be on the property
- The structural integrity of the building
- Compliance with various types of codes
You may think that your appraiser will spend a lot of time examining renovations and other improvements. That all depends on the purpose of the upgrades. If they are mostly aesthetic and don’t do much to enhance the home, many appraisers ignore them and spend more attention on the property’s base value and the building. This may cause some frustrating differences in opinion.
The Time Frame May Vary
If you hire a Johnson County property appraiser for your real estate needs, you may be wondering how long it will take them to assess your value fully. This factor will vary based on various elements that may or may not be entirely within your control. Just a handful of different things that you need to consider when getting your property appraised and what time to expect include:
- Property Size – If your property is quite large and sprawls out over an extensive area, there’s a good chance that it will take a lot longer for your appraisers to get it right for your needs.
- Buildings on the Property – When there are buildings on your property, the assessment will take longer, especially if you have a handful of structures that must be examined in full.
- Potential Issues – Over time, some types of properties might develop more severe issues that will require the help of high-quality professionals to assess and manage without trouble properly.
- The Scale of the Assessment – Some appraisals may be more limited in scope than others, meaning that they will take a lot less to handle by obvious necessity properly.
When you breakdown the full time it should take for your appraisal, you’re probably looking at anywhere from 1-5 hours, at a minimum. However, there is also a chance that the assessment could take a day or even longer. This type of long-term appraisal is rare because most appraisal professionals utilize a team that can quickly assess property value without taking a lot of time out of your day.
Ways We Can Help
As you can imagine, a Johnson County property appraiser can perform a variety of different steps that can ensure you get the most out of this process for your needs. If you still feel uncertain about what to anticipate or want to make sure that you get the best results, please contact us at MRS Appraisals today.
Our professionals have years of experience in this field and will do whatever it takes to ensure that you are satisfied. We’ll take extra steps, if needed, to keep your property healthy and satisfying for you and buyers.
When buying our home, we were a little apprehensive about finding an appraiser that we could trust. Man, did we hit the jackpot with MRS Appraisals! They were thorough and easy to work with. Now, we have a home we are proud to call our own. We would definitely recommend MRS!
Best appraisal company to work with, very knowledgeable
The experts at MRS Appraisals are what made the decision to purchase a new building for my business easy. Their experience and professionalism set my mind at ease, knowing that their appraisal would be honest, non-biased, and detailed. Thank you!